Monday, February 15, 2010

Silence.

Today, I went with my family to the local ice skating rink. I am not a fan of ice skating (ughhhh. so not my favorite AT ALL.), so I chose to just sit and watch my siblings zoom around the rink. As I sat on the side of the rink next to my brother (who was reading the 6th Harry Potter book....I can't wait untill he's finished so we can talk about the series! :D!) I was thinking about being silent. Honestly, the last time I can remember being absolutely, totally silent (with no distractions) is about...3 weeks ago. And that was for about 20 minutes. Yeah. Not really a past time I regularly invest in. I'm thinking about changing that...I think that being quiet is really a discipline. When we are quiet rather than loud, we have more time to think and reflect- to pray, to talk to God, just to muse over our latest thoughts. In Psalm 46:10, it says, "'Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the natoins, I will be exalted in the earth.'" And Proverbs 29:20 says, "Do you see a man who speaks in haste? There is more hope for a fool than him." I think that it can really benefit our relationship with God and our earthly relationships if we could just learn to hold our tongues and just be silent.

3 comments:

  1. Silence... wow! We don't get a lot of that but it is so true! When I am in bed I think about things in such a deep way because it is... silent! Unfortunately, I then immediately fall asleep and forget what I had been thinking about the next morning :-) I'm not a fan of ice skating either... at least when I do it. I kind of fall a lot!!! When other people do it, they make it look easy.

    Hope to talk to you soon!
    Emily

    ReplyDelete