Saturday, February 20, 2010

Friend? Best friend?

A friend is defined (by ever-so-reliable dictionary.com) as so: "friend (noun)- a person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard." I define it as someone I can rely on, someone loyal, someone trustworthy.

Trustworthy. There's a cool word. Worthy of my trust. So often I find that I trust the "wrong" person with a secret- it always seems to end up spiraling back to me. Something I've realized in my own life is that I'm often so ready to trust the other mortal humans around me- those who are just as flawed as I am, and yet I'm holding myself back from trusting Christ, almost as if I don't or feel like I can't be sure that He is worthy of my trust. Why don't we treat Christ as someone who is worthy of our trust? Has He ever failed us? Has He ever given up, decided our case to be hopeless, walked away in disgust? No! He has not, and He never will, like it says in Deuteronomy 31:6, "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." Did you catch that? NEVER leave. NEVER. In fact, He goes with us. That, my friends, is quite the promise.

Something else about our friendship with Christ is that it's the best friendship we can ever have. Seriously, if you think about it, a best friend isn't that uncommon. But a best friend who would die for you, even when they knew everything about you, even when you'd given up and turned your back on them before? That's true friendship. And friendship like that can only be found in our relationship with our creator, Jesus Christ.

1 comment:

  1. God is always there if you need him, which is why he is the bestest friend (lol couldn't think of a word at the top of my head) you could ever have! Great post Em =)

    ReplyDelete