Tuesday, November 30, 2010

happy things.


Today and yesterday were just happy sort of days. I've been reading through the Psalms before bed every night, and I've been thinking a lot about Psalm 23. I memorized it as "The LORD is my Shepherd, I shall not want." I had never really thought about what those words mean, until a friend posted them on Facebook in a different version of the text. Her status said, "The LORD is my Shepherd, I have all that I need."

The last part of that really made me think. Do I live like I have all that I need? Do I live like Christ is my all?

The picture of the Hebrew word above is the word "shalom". Most people I know would say that this word means peace. However, I was talking to my youth pastor, and he said there was also another meaning for the word. Instead of peace, it can also mean "the way things are supposed to be."

The way things are supposed to be. Wow. I don't know what mental image you get with that phrase, but for me, it's a world that's perfect. A world that doesn't have the pain and suffering that inhabits it right now. A world that hasn't taken perverted the most sacred parts of life. A world of living in the Light, instead of being shrouded in the darkness that so frequently suffocates us.

Living in the Light. The way things are supposed to be.
Guys, they're just phrases until we start living them out.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that version is so much easier to understand - The LORD is my Shepherd, I have all that I need.

    Wow. Jesus Christ fills all in all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, every time I read one of your posts it's just so encouraging. I love your "about me" by the way... you seem to be doing a great job fulfilling it. :) Thanks for living for Jesus-- people notice!
    Marissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree, Steph :)

    Aw, Marissa, your comment made me blush! Thank you so much - it really means a lot that you would say that.

    ReplyDelete