Monday, November 22, 2010

rep the King

Lately I've been thinking about the idea of "rep the King" - meaning representing Jesus with our lives. It's really easy for me to sometimes just put God away, not really thinking about Him until I actually "need" Him.

Obviously, that needs to change.

Lecrae is a Christian rapper. Usually, I'm not really into his type of music...however, his lyrics are legit. Instead of rapping about the usual drugs, girls, alcohol, and money, Lecrae uses his music to share the Gospel. There's a particular lyrics set that I've really been thinking about...it goes like this:

"If you didn't know Him would your life look the same? 
Can they tell you value Jesus by the way you rep his name? 
Man what's the point of living if I'm living for myself 
Lord empty out my life before I put you on the shelf"

That's pretty powerful stuff. Do I actually mean that I want God to use me, no matter what? Can people around me tell that I serve Jesus? I don't know. Even if you're not into Lecrae's "style" of music, you can't deny the truth in his lyrics. This is real, you guys. We can't just be "comfortable" Christians anymore. I know that it's not okay for me to just sit in my little clique of friends in my church pew with my Bible comfortably on my lap. I mean...anyone can do that. It doesn't take a life sold out for Christ to be comfortable. Actually, I don't really think that being sold out for Christ will result in being comfortable. I know I have to carry my cross and follow Christ with my whole life.

It's not that I've never though about this before...I have. I guess my thought process just has been reinforced lately. I know it's time for a change.

-Em


2 comments:

  1. Good stuff, Em - thanks! Love the picture. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a really sweet picture.
    And you know I just love Lecrae. Ugh. Such powerful lyrics.
    I just hope we can live them out!
    "If you didn't know Him would your life look the same?"
    ouch. that's a kick in the butt.

    ReplyDelete